4 May 2001
Member of Parliament
C/- Parliament Buildings
Re: The rights of the NZ Public to go fishing
You will be aware that Government is reviewing the management of the marine recreational fisheries at present and is expecting that Ministry of Fisheries and other officials will be ready to report back to Cabinet by the end of June 2001.
In response to the Minister of Fisheries' review we have formed "option4.co.nz."
"option4.co.nz" represents 45 Fishing Associations /Councils and 70,000 members of the public who are committed to ensure that the following set of guiding principles are used to protect the rights of the New Zealand public to harvest seafood for this and future generations.
- That priority of non-commercial fishers over commercial fishers be reinstated;
- That non-commercial fishers have an area right capable of excluding bulk commercial methods that deplete recreationally important areas;
- A planning right that would ensure any fish conserved for non-commercial fishers could not be taken by the commercial sector;
- No licensing, levy or any other compulsory funding schemes for non-commercial fishers.
We have been asked by members in your electorate to canvas and seek your views about the above issues as soon as possible.
Accordingly we invite you to confirm your position by providing us with answers to the following questions prior to May 30th, 2001.
- Do you regard yourself as a marine recreational/sustenance fisher?
- Given that fisheries must be managed within sustainable limits, do you believe that the priority of non-commercial fishing over commercial fishers must be reinstated?
- Do you believe marine recreational/sustenance fishers should have an area right capable of excluding bulk commercial methods that deplete recreationally important areas?
- Do you believe marine recreational/sustenance fishers should have a planning right to provide for future generations?
- Are you for or against the Crown imposing licensing levies on marine recreational/sustenance fishers?
We also invite you to check us out at our web site www.option4.co.nz and/or visit our stand at the Auckland Boat Show at Queen's Birthday Weekend .
We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Project Leader, Option4