In order to gain some understanding
of Maori customary and fisheries management tools the following
questions were put to the Ministry of Fisheries on May 20th, 2005.
Written answers were requested from MFish prior to the hui so distribution
could be organised well before the event and people had some background
information before arriving at the hui.
- The specifics pertaining to the Maori customary tools available
- MFish's definition of each of these tools.
- What is the maximum size these areas can be?
- What is the minimum size these areas can be?
- Where are these tools being used elsewhere in the country?
- The process, establishment and specific outcomes of these tools
- Have these tools been sufficient to have an effect on finfish
- Have they been effective on shellfish, paua and crayfish?
- An explanation of biomass and MSY.
- An explanation of how this management strategy affects our access
able to fish for our babies.
- What is the purpose of daily bag limits?
- What importance does the minimum size limit have on fish populations?